A clever second half flick from a trialist gave Farnborough a narrow win away at Walton & Hersham on Saturday afternoon as Spencer Day’s side got another useful pre-season workout under their belts

This, our penultimate friendly, saw the winning habit continue against Ryman League opponents Walton & Hersham. However, It was not a game for the connoisseur. No Programme, Team sheets, or announcer, made for a rather confusing afternoon at times. However, having spent well over an hour on the M3 and M25, yours truly arrived not long before half time to be assured by several diehards that I’d not missed a lot.

Having, as stated, witnessed very little of the first half, the Home side almost broke the deadlock around 35 minutes, but Boro’ defence conceded a corner to prevent going behind. Then in the final few minutes, Trialist 10, who seemed quite lively, was put through on goal but his shot brought a decent save from Ross.

The final action saw a Boro’ free kick taken by Josh Webb, deflected for a corner. The corner kick got through to Trialist 10 who was unable to bring the ball under control.

Half time Walton & Hersham 0 – Farnborough 0.

The second period commenced at 4.00 pm with Boro’ bringing on CJ Fearn, and Trialists 14 and 16 replacing Trialist 7, Trialist 9 and Trialist 2.

The home side enjoyed a period of good possession which saw Farnborough number 4 clear for a corner, Trialist 6, clear a shot off the goal line and Boro’ survive what seemed a very good appeal for a penalty. It was best part of 10 minutes before Boro’ made any serious progress into the Walton half and a Josh Webb corner found Trialist 3 but his shot lacked power. When the home side attacked again down the right flank, Boro”s number 4 was beaten and resorted to a foul on the edge of the box, but the resultant free kick was well cleared.

The home side’s No 15 had a shot from distance which was well over the bar, then on 65 minutes, a Webb cross was heads out for a corner and Trialist 10 had his effort charged down. The same player then had a 25 yard free kick gathered by the home keeper.

The home side brought on subs 14, 16 and 18 with 14 almost immediately trying his luck on goal only to see his effort go wide of the left hand post. With about 20 minutes left, Boro’ Trialist 16 committed the second of two rather pointless fouls barely inside the Walton half before Trialist 10, who had been the pick of the Boro’ front men, had another effort deflected for a corner. When the kick came in it caused problems in the home defence and finally, with the ball flying back and forth, trialist wearing the number 11 shirt claimed the final touch to put Boro’ in front in the 75th minute.

Boro’ immediately brought on Ollie Treacher and Lewis Ferrell to replace Trialist 10 and the goal scorer. The presence of Treacher and Ferrell gave Boro’ a far more solid and assured look in defence as the home side threw players forward to try and salvage something. The nearest they came was when their No 15 turned and netted from 10 yards only to be judged off side, then No. 18 headed just over.

Boro’ almost doubled their lead in the final minute when the pacey Trialist 14, wriggled his way into a shooting position only to see his effort go fractionally too high.

FULL TIME: Walton & Hersham 0-1 Farnborough

We now look forward to the final test against Leyton Orient on Monday, when the return of such as Matt Ball, Darryl Siaw, Joe Taylor, Phil Page and Paul Rodgers will, together with a number of the better trialists, will give us a far more balanced side and will hopefully allow us to go into our first league encounter against Boreham Wood with some confidence.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Monday 4 August (KO 7.45pm), Leyton Orient (home)

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: