Boro’ topple Staines 2-1 in late show!

A dogged performance saw Boro’ win another 3 points on the road courtesy of what is fast becoming their trade mark ‘late show’.

Wheatsheaf Park has not been the happiest of hunting grounds in recent times for Boro’ and against a strong, confident, Staines side it would take a good disciplined performance to bring about a change of fortune.

The Swans got the game underway on the stroke of 3.00pm and after initial probing from both sides, the visitors almost suffered an early unwelcome reverse.

Josh Webb lost possession in midfield allowing the home side to break and when Buchanan broke clear he looked odds on to score, but Matt Bevans made a timely tackle to save the day.

For the next fifteen minutes Boro’ put their opponents under almost constant pressure, pegging them back and restricting them to the odd break. During this period most of Boro’s best moves came down the left side with Okenabirhie, Page, Bennett and Ball all combining well and Ollie Treacher over lapping at speed to add to the pressure on the home side.

Okenabirhie had a shot from distance which was just wide of the post and when Webb let fly with his left foot from 20 yards, Turner saved well.

Ball took a short corner on the left and Bennett returned the ball to the midfielder who ran into the box where he appeared to have been fouled but Mr. Degnarain waved away Boro’s appeals, which in truth were not that robust.

On the odd occasion when the Swans did break, Theophanous got a shot away but Ross was not troubled.

When James-Lewis gave the ball away on the edge of his own area, Matt Ball seized on it, but to his credit, James-Lewis tackled back well to regain possession and relieve a dangerous situation.

A free kick for a foul on Worsfold was headed clear by Brice and at the other end, Dan Bennett cleverly wriggled his way into position for a left foot shot which just cleared the angle of bar and post.

Jack Turner then made a series of fine saves to keep his side level. Bennett put Page through and his shot on the turn was blocked by the keeper who then turned Bennett’s follow up out for a corner. The corner reached Page just outside the area and his full blooded rising shot was inches too high.

Okenabirhie did well on the left and forced Ngamvoulou to concede a corner which the big number 8 duly cleared. Following a foul on the lively Okenabirhie, Turner blocked Bennett’s shot from Matt Ball’s free kick and when Ball collected the rebound his chip from the edge of the box was just too high.

With five minutes of the half remaining, the Swans did get a decent attack going and when Theophanous ran into the box, Rodgers was snapping at his heels and the Boro’ right-back had two ‘bites’ before the big centre forward went to ground.

The referee pointed to the spot and Boro’ could have no real complaints. Louie Theophanous, who tonight joins the England ‘C’ squad at St George’s Park, made no mistake from the spot giving Ross no chance. Staines 1 – 0 Boro’, 41 minutes.

Just ahead of the half time whistle Theophanous almost got a second, but Craig Ross did well to block his shot.

Half Time: Staines Town 1-0 Farnborough

Having had by far the better of the half, Boro’ did not deserve to go in a goal down. In fact, with a little more luck and without several fine saves from Jack Turner, they could have been two, or three, goals ahead themselves.

The second half got under way at 4.01pm with both sides creating chances in the opening few minutes. Buchanan had a shot well saved by Ross before Fejiri Okenabirhie rattled the advertising hoardings with a shot which just missed the post.

The chances kept on coming at both ends and Webb shot wide from some distance, then Ngamvoulou saw his effort turned round the post by Ross.

From a Boro’ corner on the left, Okenabirhie sent the ball back into the area where Ferrell headed just over, then the number eleven had another shot from outside the area which flew too high.

The home side were doing whatever was necessary to preserve their lead and were often quite physical in their defending. This led to a booking for Ngamvoulou on 60 minutes and from the free kick, Brendan Kiernan committed another foul, but was just spoken to. Matt Ball’s free kick was charged down by the wall and finally cleared.

Swans made a double substitution in the 67th minute introducing Lodge for Ngamvoulou and Willock for Buchanan.

With the game still there for the taking, Boro’ continued to attack and were awarded two free kicks in quick succession.

The first, a curler from Matt Ball was just too high and the second, also from Ball too strong for the waiting forwards. Boro’ then made a double substitution in the 72nd minute, Andrew Montugu replacing Matt Ball and new signing, Sylvester Guyonnet, on for Josh Webb.

This change seemed to signal a renewed onslaught from Boro’ and Bennett working his way in from the left, hit a screamer which Turner did well to keep out. Swans made their final sub bringing on Luke Neville for Brendan Kiernan.

With 10 minutes remaining, Okenabirhie, cut inside and hit a good shot which was deflected for a corner. The kick was headed back into the area where an audacious overhead kick from Phil Page, hit the top of the bar and bounced over.

Boro’ then replaced Ollie Treacher with Ferdinand Takyi to offer more forward options in the remaining 9 minutes.

Jack Turner made another fine double save to deny Okenabirhie and Page before Chris M’boungou kicked another Page effort off the line.

When James-Lewis was penalised in the 85th minute, Takyi headed goalwards from the free kick and when the ball rebounded off the post, Adam Brice made no mistake to bag the equaliser from close range. Staines 1 – 1 Boro’, 85 minutes.

Boro’ kept up their attacking momentum and two minutes later, Dan Bennett was rewarded for all his effort when he thumped in the second goal. Staines 1 – 2 Boro’, 87 minutes.

The remaining few minutes plus the four added by Mr. Degnarain, seemed much longer as the home side threw everyone forward to try and salvage something from a game which they must have surely thought was theirs with 5 minutes of normal time left.

Boro’ defended stoutly and Adam Brice did well to intercept a Theophanous effort and concede a corner. The final attempt by Swans, saw Craig Ross save well at the foot of his left post from substitute, Callum Willock.

Full Time: Staines Town 1-2 Farnborough

A win by a far greater margin would not have flattered them on the day.

Match Report by Tony Duff.


Well done to all who travelled and thank you for your fantastic support!

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 27 September (KO 3pm), Brackley Town (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: