Farnborough sunk by ruthless Weston in nightmare start for boss Day

After a fruitless opener against Boreham Wood on Saturday, Boro’ would be keen to open their account in this, their first home league fixture.

Boro’ opened in lively fashion attacking the PRE and Page might have opened the scoring after just two minutes. Alas, having rounded the keeper, he was forced wide of the goal and Barnes finally cleared. Matt Ball collected a quick throw on the right, progressed across the 18 yard line and loosed off a shot which was deflected over for a corner. Another good move saw Rodgers put Page through, but having beaten two defenders, his left foot shot lacked power.

In the 8th minute, the Boro’ defence was slow to react to a swift attack and Jamie Lucas was able to open the scoring for the visitors, albeit against the run of play. 0 – 1

Boro’ were quickly on the attack again and Webb shot wide, before Page and Ball combined well only for the visitors to clear when Ball lost control.

A Ball free kick from about 22 yards was tapped sideways to Page whose shot breached the wall, but went just wide. The visitors got back in attacking mode and Lucas tried his luck from distance, but his shot lacked power and gave Grainger no trouble. Then, when Webb lost possession in midfield, Weston broke quickly with a long ball out to Walker on the right and his decent cross flew right across the face of goal and away to safety.

Just after the half hour, Ollie Treacher made a speedy run down the left before delivering a good cross which Joe Taylor controlled and calmly slotted home the equaliser. His first league goal in a Boro’ shirt. 1 – 1

Following a number of niggly fouls, Referee, Mr Humphries, lectured O’Sullivan and skipper Tom Jordan, but did not issue a card. As the half drew to a close, Rodgers did well to reach a long pass down the left and put over a decent cross, but nobody was able to get near to it.

After sustained Boro’ pressure, Weston were unable to clear their lines and Phil Page seized on a loose ball to prod home from close range. 2 – 1

With just a few minutes remaining, just a Dayle Grubb effort from distance was the only remaining significant action of the half.

Half Time: Farnborough 2-1 Weston-Super-Mare

Boro’ were worth their lead having bounced back well from an early reverse. However, the visitors had played some useful speedy football with accuracy, of their own. More than enough to show their capabilities.

The second period got underway at 8.50 with Boro’ quick to take the game to their opponents. Phil Page came closest with an 18 yarder being just too high. Then when Taylor was fouled on the right corner of the box, Matt Ball’s free kick was a bit too strong and went harmlessly out of play.

Then, just as in the first half, things changed very quickly. Following a needless foul just outside the area on the right, Grubb’s free kick was headed home by Jake Harris to bring the scores level again at 2 – 2.

Mr Humphries finally reached for his book and showed Lucas a yellow for a foul on Darryl Siaw. Shortly afterwards, a double substitution saw Boro’ replace Taylor and Tumwa with Okenabirhie and Bennett. Bennett was soon in the fray and looking lively which lead to a period of pressure including a number of corners in quick succession, but unfortunately, the final touch was missing.

With 20 minutes left and the game poised at 2 – 2, Weston made a double substitution, Walker and Harris making way for Ash and Fiddes. Almost immediately, Purnell palmed away a shot from Dan Bennett and Matt Ball was first to react, but his shot was wide.

Both sides were to create chances as play swung first one way and then the other. The Boro’ defence appeared to freeze, allowing the ball to run through to McClennan who fortunately shot wide. Then Josh Webb had a good effort tipped out for a corner by Purnell who then palmed away the corner which fell safely and was cleared.

With 10 minutes left Thompson replaced Page for the home side who continued to seek a winner. Weston had shown how they could switch quickly from defence to attack and demonstrated this again on 84 minutes. They broke down the left flank so quickly that they had a man over in Grubb who received the ball just outside the box and hit a shot into the far corner which gave Grainger no chance. 2 – 3

Boro’ went all out for an equaliser, but Weston broke their rhythm by making their final substitution with about four minutes to go replacing McClennan with Teale. Back on the offensive, Boro’ were a touch unfortunate when Purnell spilled a shot which fell to a defender.

The final four added minutes saw Boro’ striving for an elusive equaliser.

Full Time: Farnborough 2-3 Weston-Super-Mare

Despite their efforts Boro’ again had nothing to show by way of points, but all credit to the visitors who had played some slick football at times. On balance, a draw would have been a fair result, but fairness and luck rarely come into the equation called football.

We must now look forward to Saturday, home to newly promoted St Albans City, to get off the mark.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 16 August (KO 3pm), St Albans City (home)

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: