Boro’ sail past Cowes into the next round of the Hampshire Senior Cup

True to his word, Spencer Day gave places in the starting line-up to seven squad players in this Hampshire Senior Cup tie sponsored by BSA Regal.

The hosts, however, were rarely troubled although Cowes played some reasonable football and were indeed the first to create a serious chance. With just 6 minutes on the clock Jared Wetherick was allowed far too much space on the left and delivered a good cross into the area. The ball bobbled in a crowded 5 yard box and with Ashley West struggling to get to it Kurtis Spencer took responsibility and cleared the danger.

Boro’ took the lead on 21 minutes when Curtis Shaw neatly side stepped a defender before slotting home with a low cross shot into the bottom left hand corner.

A few minutes later a cross from the right was met on the half volley by Pat O’Connor but flew just too high. The visitors thought they had equalised on 37 minutes when West could only parry a free kick from just outside the area and Wetherick tapped home, but was correctly ruled off side.

Minutes later, Kurtis Spencer was shown a yellow card for upending Wetherick near the corner flag, but the free kick came to nothing. Cowes had two chances in the last couple of minutes of the half when Adams let fly from distance only to see his effort strike the angle of bar and post, then when Darryl Siaw was penalised on the edge of the box, Sergio Castellano blasted his kick into the wall and it rebounded to safety.

Half Time: Farnborough 1-0 Cowes Sports

The 2nd period started at 8.35 with the visitors bringing on their only two subs. Wilson and Gregory replacing Adams and Bricknell respectively. Takyi had a decent shot from 30 yards which was just too high, then,with just 4 minutes of the 2nd half gone, Boro’ doubled their lead when Bennett chased and kept in what had seemed a lost cause before crossing well and Takyi made no mistake with a firm header. Boro’ 2 – Cowes 0, 49 minutes.

With the home side continuing to dominate play they almost scored a third when Bennett and Rodgers played a neat one two on the right before keeper Edward Hatt kept out Dan Bennett’s shot with his foot. Curtis Shaw had a good shot from the edge of the area which was inches too high before the visitors had a rare opportunity to reduce the arrears only for Sainsbury to lash his shot high and wide.

Boro’ made a double substitution after 70 minutes replacing both goal scorers, Shaw and Takyi, with Adam Brice and Matt Ball. With Brice detailed up front and Ball taking his usual position in midfield, Boro’ continued to press and always looked likely to add to their two goal lead.

A final sub for Boro’ after 78 minutes saw Declan McAvoy, who had done a reasonable job at left back, give way to Josh Webb.

With 10 minutes left, Adam Brice showed good skill to chip the ball over a defender and run round him, only to hit a weak shot disappointingly wide of the target.

With about 5 minutes left, Ball, Bennett and Brice combined well down the right and Dan Bennett’s shot brought a good save from Hatt diving to his left. Despite attacking for the remaining minutes, Boro’ were not able to add to the score.

Full Time: Farnborough 2-0 Cowes Sports

A comfortable enough win for Boro’ which gave squad members an opportunity to show case their abilities with Shaw and Takyi both getting on the score sheet and for a man of his height, Takyi showed good close control. O’Connor and McAvoy both gave a reasonable account of themselves while Kurtis Spencer made some timely interventions and with Dan Pearse and the returning Darryl Siaw, the centre of defence looked pretty solid.

Paul Rodgers, deputising as skipper for Lewis Ferrell, gave his usual solid performance as a wing back, Dan Bennett must have run miles and covered every blade of grass and Andrew Montugu showed good speed and control. Ashley West looked a bit short of match play and was not as dominant as Charlie Grainger, but none the less, he kept a clean sheet. We can now look forward to the draw for the next round – could it be Aldershot?

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 20 September (KO 3pm), Staines Town (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: