Boro’s dismal home run continues

Hopes were high following the welcome midweek result at Leatherhead where two of our new signings featured on the score sheet. However, today’s visitors, who sit comfortably in mid-table with a big settled side, were always likely to provide a stiffer test.

Following a reverently observed one minute silence in honour of those who died in the two world wars and other subsequent conflicts, the game got underway at 3.00 with Boro’ attacking the PRE.

The opening 20 minutes,or so, were fairly even with both sides mounting attacks and creating chances. Louie Theophanous put Page away on the right and the number 9 made a good run which ended when the ball was forced out off his legs for a goal kick.

Lloyd Foot had hit a strong shot from distance which gave Ashmore work to do in the Gosport goal.

Phil Page was close with a shot from the right corner of the box, then a dangerous looking cross from Williams tested the Boro’ defence before a 30 harder from Dunford sailed just over.

When Lloyd Foot was penalised 25 yards out, Ramsey struck the free kick tamely wide of the left upright.

Paterson broke through and West kicked clear before the offside flag was noticed, then Theophanous skimmed the bar following a three man move across the box.

The next few minutes saw newcomer, Amadeu Arnau booked for the home side, while Williams went into Mr Cooper’s book for a foul on Darryl Siaw.


Siaw left in a heap on the ground after a late challenge by Gosport’s Williams

Between the bookings, Ollie Treacher did well to clear up a dangerous situation and a swirling cross from Foot fell just short of Louie Theophanous.

In the 36th minute Treacher and West collided going for a cross and Matt Paterson gratefully pounced on the loose ball to put the visitors ahead. Impossible to tell if either player shouted, but one of them should have done. Farnborough 0 – 1 Gosport Borough.


Gosport couldn’t believe their luck when a defensive mix-up handed them the opening goal

Along free kick from Lloyd Foot almost led to a quick equaliser, but was finally scrambled clear.

Darryl Siaw did well to stop Dan Wooden at the expense of a corner, but the straight forward looking kick caught the Boro’ defence out allowing Matt Paterson to put Gosport two up in the 42nd minute. Farnborough 0-2 Gosport Borough.


Paterson wheels away to celebrate his second goal of the game

Boro’ were pushing forward in an effort to reduce the arrears and when Arnau was brought down by Smith, Ashmore punched Foot’s free kick away but only to Arnau on the edge of the box, but the defender shot just over.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-2 Gosport Borough

A pretty even first half with both sides creating chances and the score was somewhat flattering to the visitors. However, the rode their luck and in fairness, were more clinical in the area.

The second half commenced at 4.01 pm with Boro’ bringing on Pearse in place of Tumwa.

Play swung from end to end for the first ten minutes, but it was the visitors who went further ahead when Justin Bennett was first to a right wing cross to head home his second of the match and Gosport’s third in 59th minute. Farnborough 0-3 Gosport Borough.

Dan Bennett featured for Boro’ a few minutes later when his cross was deflected for a corner. This was to be his last contribution as he was replaced by David Banjo on 64 minutes.

The change was of no immediate benefit and within two minutes the visitors went further ahead. With the defence slow to react from a corner, Brett Poate, was able to snatch number four after 66 minutes. Farnborough 0-4 Gosport Borough.

A flurry of substitutions in the 70th minute saw Boro’s final change with Okenabirhie on for Page and a double change for Gosport who brought on Lee Wort and Robbie Matthews for goal scorers Paterson and Justin Bennett.

Wort was quickly involved bringing a good save from West while Pearse went close for Boro’. The visitors final sub came in the 76th
minute when Byron Mason replaced Danny Smith.

Boro’ kept going forward and were on the attack for most of the remaining fifteen minutes or so. Okenabirhie shot just over from the edge of the area, then a Harry Grant effort was tipped over by Ashmore.

The home side’s persistence paid off in the 85th minute when Louie Theophanous cut inside from the left and unleashed a strong, swerving shot, which beat Ashmore at his left post to notch up his first competitive goal for the club. Farnborough 1-4 Gosport Borough.


Debutant Louie Theophanous grabbed a consolation goal for Farnborough

With the clock running down, Adam Brice met a Grant free kick and his header was grabbed by Ashmore just below his crossbar.

Full Time: Farnborough 1-4 Gosport Borough

A disappointing result, but worth noting that by striving to live within their means, Boro’ are effectively into a 3rd “pre season” situation. New players need time to settle in and we will always struggle against established sides which were able to formulate their squad at the start of the season.

Further multiple changes will further delay a settled side, though the possible return of Grainger would be a bonus.

Given a fair run and with the rub of the green, the present squad can fulfill our aspirations to survive at this level and maybe even achieve a mid table finish.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 9 November (KO 1pm), Dulwich Hamlet (away).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: