Boro’ finally overcome their home nerves with fine win.

The well deserved home victory over Hayes & Heading laid to rest some dismal statistics. Recording only their second home league win of the season, the first went way back to August Bank Holiday against Basingstoke.

The last clean sheet was on 9th September against Maidenhead and for back to back league wins you need to go back to the 23rd and 25th of August against Wealdstone and Basingstoke, respectively. Maybe we’ve turned an important corner in the context of our season.

Buoyed by the midweek win at St Albans, Boro’ faced a stern test against a Hayes & Heading side sitting in 10th place, which included ex home favourites Dean Inman and Lewis Ferrell.

A minutes silence in memory of Sally Armstrong was observed prior to kick off. Sally was a popular driver of our supporter’s coach and will be missed by all who knew her.


The visitors got the game under way attacking the PRE and won a free kick in the first minute, but Everitt shot well wide. Boro’ settled and enjoyed good possession and on 12 minutes the lively Reece Beckles appeared to be wrestled to the ground, but nothing was given by Referee, Lloyd Wood.

Boro’ had a good spell for the next 15 minutes or so, which saw Michael Richens hit a low shot from 20 yards which Kitscha did well to keep out diving to his right. Then a long ball into the area led to Okenabirhie challenging the keeper who eventually managed to grab the loose ball near the edge of his area.

Louie Theophanous had a snap shot from the edge of the box which Kitscha could only parry, but was cleared by a defender.

On the half hour mark, the visitors supporters got excited when Cox shot, but he was 10 yards wide of Grainger’s left post. Then, when Richens was penalised, Ferrell played it short to Harriott who sliced his shot well wide.

Boro’ were in full stride for the remaining 10 minutes of the half and made several good chances. A neat one, two between Harry Grant and Louie Theophanous saw the latter with a good low shot on target which Kitscha did well to hold near his right post.

Theophanous then slipped a pass to Beckles whose curling shot went close to the right post. A good three man move down the left ended with Grant crossing for Beckles only for the number 11 to see his shot deflected for a corner.

The final action of the half saw Richens penalised on the edge of the area, but the free kick was too strong and ran out for a goal kick.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-0 Hayes & Yeading United

An entertaining half which saw the visitors play some neat football, but, Boro’ enjoyed the lions share of possession and created more clear chances which saw Kitscha save well to keep his side in the game.

The 2nd period started at 4.05 with Boro’ quickly back on the attack and a good move down the right looked promising before the visitors finally cleared the danger. When play did reach the other penalty area, Charlie Grainger did well to smother a deflected cross from the right.

With Boro’ maintaining pressure, Gerring was booked for a heavy tackle on Dawson, but the free kick was cleared. When Boro’ won a corner on the right, the kick was delayed while they replaced Fejiri Okenabirhie with Phil Page, and the visitors took off Louie-Rae Beadle and introduced Tom Collins.

Good work by Murrell-Williamson on the right, was wasted when the cross proved far too strong and went out for a throw on the far side. Page crossed from the right and Beckles side stepped his defender before his shot brought another good save from Kitscha.

Richens was booked for foul on Artwell and Grainger pushed the resultant attempt round the post, but the offside flag was raised. Play quickly switched to the other end where Boro’ were awarded a free kick which went through to the keeper.

Darryl Siaw made a good run through the middle before releasing a pass to Harry Grant who lost no time in whipping home a left-footed shot into the far corner on 71 minutes.

Farnborough 1-0 Hayes & Yeading United


Harry Grant wheels away to celebrate Farnborough’s winner!

Boro’ made a 2nd change after 74 minutes, bringing on CJ Fearn for Beckles. When Xapi joined the attack he exchanged passes with Theophanous and ran on into the box where he was sent sprawling, but Mr Wood was not moved and waved play on. Presumably, he didn’t see it as a dive, or would have booked the Boro’ player. So why no penalty?

Hayes & Yeading made a 2nd sub on 79 minutes with Kearney replacing Artwell and showed signs of frustration with there efforts to contain Boro’ and try to get on terms. Their skipper, Matty Harriott was shown a yellow card for a challenge in midfield, but one feels Mr Wood could have given Boro’ the advantage as they had retained possession and made ground.

The remaining few minutes and the three added, saw action in both goal mouths with Xapi heading a cross from the right out for a corner under some pressure. From the kick Ferrell had a shot deflected over for another on the right which came to nothing and for Boro’, Dawson had an effort deflected for a corner which was to be the last action of the game.

Full Time: Farnborough 1-0 Hayes & Yeading United

A well deserved win for Boro’ stemming from a good team performance which can only have a positive effect on confidence ahead of next week’s FA Trophy tie away to Sholing.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up – Farnborough XI vs British Army Team, @ Aldershot Military Stadium on Tuesday 25 November (KO 7:30pm).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: