Boro’ robbed by late, late goal

With Boro’ looking to change their home form around and Sutton having also lost their last three matches, we were set for for a battle between two sides who both had something to prove.

The visitors got the game underway attacking the Prospect Road End. Perhaps ‘attacking’ was too optimistic as both sides started so tentatively that it was fully 10 minutes before we saw a serious attempt on goal.

Southam had a go from 20 yards after the ball ran away from Bennett but his shot was too high. Brice was first to seriously threaten for Boro’, but his header from a right wing corner sailed over the top.

When Matt Ball found Page on the left his effort was blocked for a corner and Page then got to the corner first but headed just past the post.

Goal drought: Page is looking for his fourth goal of the season

Shortly after a booking for a foul on Page, Evans shot from distance, but Smith comfortably dealt with it diving to his right.

The visitors dominated the next ten minutes or so, with Binns and Haysman both going close before Reindorf met a cross from the left and let fly. The only danger, however, was to the trees behind the goal.

Darryl Siaw did well to clear a cross from Southam, before Binns cleverley jinked into the box and loosed off a shot which was well saved by Grant Smith. This was the last relevant action coming in the 3 minutes of added time.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-0 Sutton United

A rather lack lustre half with few real chances created by two sides who both struggled to find any real rhythm or cohesion and appeared to concentrate on not conceding while ignoring the simple fact that goals win matches.

The 2nd half commenced at 4.01 and Boro’ replaced Guyonnet with Webb.

The first goalmouth action saw Dundas come close to scoring an own goal with his blushes being saved when Evans
cleared off the line. When the ball bounced awkwardly off Brice, Southam shot hastily over the bar, then Reindorf, who looked to be offside, was allowed to continue but Smith saved.

Goalkeeper Grant Smith denied Sutton numerous times with a string of fine saves

The Boro’ keeper was soon in action again making a good double save, firstly beating out a shot from Reindorf then turning the follow up from Dundas out for a corner. Brice was booked presumably for disputing the corner.

Controversial: Boro players question another Refereeing decision

Ferrell did well to block the ball at the expense of a corner, which saw Clough head narrowly over. Boro’ replaced Page, who had endured some heavy handling from the Sutton defenders, with Okenabirhie.

Sutton were given a corner when the ball appeared to have come off their own player, but they were unable to benefit from their good fortune. Okenabirhie shot following a good move on the left but Lovelock saved comfortably.

A good four man move for Sutton saw Spillane’s effort from Binns cross saved by Smith, then Clough bundled the ball wide following a free kick on the right touchline.

Sutton made a double substitution in the 75th minute replacing Reindorf and the dangerous Binns with Bignall and Hippolyte-Patrick. Tempers became frayed on both sides leading to a rash of yellow cards with Haysman being the first of several to go in the book.

Some of the Boro faithful urging the home side on in the second half

From the resultant free kick taken by Matt Ball, Lovelock gathered and cleared. When Sutton went forward again, Smith made another good save to keep the scores level.

Hart became the next to see a yellow card then Treacher and Southam joined him after a skirmish in the Sutton area. Treacher seemed a bit unlucky as he appeared to restrain Southam who was angrily rushing towards the Referee. Treacher was only carded after Referee’s assistant, Bhupinder Gill intervened. Many felt it was not Mr Gill’s first mistake of the afternoon.

Matt Ball was the final name to go into Mr Serrano’s book in the 88th minute, making a total of four yellows for each side. Most were for fairly minor offences and at least two, difficult to understand.

Just when a goalless draw seemed the most likely result, as had been the case for most of the game, Sutton got a lucky break in added time.

The robust Dundas, who had used his size and weight to good effect all afternoon, went down rather too easily on the edge of the area. Then the visitors rode their luck with a very quick free kick which found Bignall who smashed in the winner. Boro’ 0-1 Sutton, 90 minutes.

Many people neither heard a whistle or saw a signal from Mr Serrano, but the goal was allowed to stand.
So, Boro’s dismal home form stretched to four consecutive defeats and eight in total for the season.

Full Time: Farnborough 0-1 Sutton United

Gutted: A devastated Farnborough captain at full time 

Players like Slabber and Page can only perform to their ability with quality service. We saw very few decent crosses today whether from open play, or set pieces.

Neither side played well, but on balance, Boro’ deserved a point if only for the string of fine saves from Grant Smith. Basic skills like passing and keeping the ball, have to improve and, given the lack of finance available, we must be patient and keep faith. Things will improve.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 1 November (KO 3pm), Gosport Borough (home).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: