Three defeats from three leaves Day deflated

WOE, WOE AND THRICE WOE!! Spencer Day’s Farnborough still await their first point of the new season following a third successive defeat at the hands, or feet, of newly promoted St Albans City. Any nervous anticipation on the part of fans, or players, was not helped by a delayed start cause by the visitor’s coach being held up on everybody’s favourite car park, the M25.

Boro’ finally got the game underway at 3.15 p.m, playing towards the Moor Road end. The home side started well enough with an early cross
from Ferrell being headed clear then Bennett won a corner on the left. The visitors then enjoyed some good possession which saw them win successive corners without being able to capitalise.

Dan Bennett had a good effort beaten out by Welch and Fejiri Okenabirhie, following up, let fly with a crisp shot which Welch did well to turn round for a corner. The keeper then palmed the corner away and the ball fell safely and was cleared. Okenabirhie was then flagged off-side twice in a minute with both decisions looking marginal.

Kyriacou blasted well over from distance, then Boro’ made an enforced substitution after 39 minutes with Page being replaced by Joe Taylor. Judging by where he placed the ice pack, it appears Page was suffering some discomfort in a rather delicate area.

Just as the half looked like ending without a goal, the visitors were rather fortunate to score from a ‘nothing’ situation. James Comley hit a rather hopeful shot, which took a very nasty deflection off Ferrell and spun awkwardly past Grainger who was wrong footed. The Boro’ keeper then did well to gather at the feet of an attacker to prevent more damage.

Half Time: Farnborough 0-1 St Albans City

A fairly even half so far as possession was concerned, but the visitors were quicker on the ball and their passing was more accurate. Boro’ seemed to falter whenever they ventured any distance into the opposition half and often this led to one or two forwards becoming isolated with no help available.

The second half got underway at 4.20pm with both sides having early chances. Joe Taylor beat the off side trap only for his cross to stray too near to Welch who gratefully grabbed it and cleared. Frendo then turned and shot from the edge of the area, but the effort went well over.

A rare Boro’ free kick (huge derisive applause) saw Ball tap the ball to Bennett and run through to receive the return, but alas the cross was too close to Welch.

The Saints skipper was booked for a foul on Bennett and Matt Ball’s free kick from the edge of the box, was headed goalwards by Bennett, but shaved the post.

McAvoy replaced Siaw on 56 minutes and when Joe Taylor burst through Welch just got there first and conceded a corner. The corner caused some panic in the area and as the ball ricocheted back and forth, Taylor hit a good shot on target which Welch was fortunate to block with his body. With about half an hour remaining, Wales was booked for a foul on Bennett and Taylor was just wide from the free kick.

Next, Bennett jinxed past three defenders and drew a good save from Welch. Saints 1st sub 0n 63 minutes saw Buchanan replace Keenleyside and then more Bennett trickery led to another foul on him and a card for Wales. The number 11 had been riding his luck with a number of challenges and no surprise when he was subbed a minute later to make way for Loick Pires.

The last 20 minutes saw Boro’ throwing men forward in numbers seeking an equaliser. Bennett slipped a good ball through to Rodgers on the right, but Welch was first to the cross. Both sides used their 3rd subs, with Boro’ sending on Josh Webb to replace Matt Ball, who was clearly unhappy, and The Saints replaced Danny Green, with Lee Clarke.

Webb hit a good cross field pass to McAvoy on the left wing, but the Boro’ sub was not able to control the ball which ran out of play. The visitors were using every trick in the book to waste time and Mr Yianni was felt to be too lenient by only adding four minutes.

Boro’ created the final decent chances when Okenabahirie, having done well, delayed pulling the trigger and the moment passed. Finally, Bennett and Rodgers again linked well with the latter crossing well to see Joe Taylor head just over.

Full Time: Farnborough 0-1 St Albans City

A disappointing result. Boro’, at times made the opposition look far better than they were by giving the ball away too often and not passing well enough when they had possession. They seemed nervous going forward and spurned a number of chances by delaying in front of goal. Not yet panic stations, but must show all round improvement and determination if they are to get over the line in this campaign.

Boro’ seem to have forsaken the habit of naming a Mom, so I’ll say give my vote today to Ollie Treacher.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 23 August (KO 3pm), Wealdstone (away)

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: