Farnborough capped off pre-season 2014 with an entertaining yet goalless 0-0 draw with Football League opposition Leyton Orient.

A final opportunity for us to see any trialists still hoping to earn a contract and for Spencer and his team to try any variations in respect of content and formation they might have in mind ahead of the first Vanarama Conference South game on Saturday. Leyton Orient will no doubt provide a good test of where we are following some encouraging results against lower level opponents.


The game commenced a little after 7.45 with the Boro’ starting eleven having an altogether more familiar look following several games which included several unknown faces. Only Farnborough’s number 9, who led the line up front and Farnborough’s number 3 at left back. This meant Ollie Treacher played much higher up the pitch though he often tracked back as required. He used his speed and skilful footwork to cause the visitors a number of problems with forward runs and good crosses as well as his usual timely tackles and interceptions when in defensive mode.

Play was very much end to end with Boro’ enjoying a good deal of possession and creating chances. Woods grabbed a Treacher cross under pressure, then a Matt Ball free kick was headed out, but fell to Farnborough’s number 4 who hit a 25 yarder which was on target, but blocked. Matt Ball was again only just wide with a rasping shot from 20 yards.

In a rare attack which caused any real problems, the O’s progressed through the middle and Grainger saved well at the feet of Kashett.

Just before the half hour, Andy Nikolaou was unduly heavy with a charge into the back of Farnborough’s number 9 and earned a ticking off from Mr Treleaven. After several minutes of treatment the Boro’ number 9 left the field to warm applause and was replaced by Phil Page. Taylor and Page linked well allowing Page a shot which Woods did well to block and the ball came out to Josh Webb who must have thought he had scored before a defender lunged in and deflected the ball onto the bar and away to safety. Twice in quick succession, Page benefitted firstly, from good work by Ball and Treacher only to see Woods make a good diving save and then, a Ball free kick reached Page who again was just wide of the mark.

Just before the half ended, Humphrey weaved his way through the Boro’ defence and created a chance for Scott Kashett who shot well over the bar. The final action before the half ended, was when Matt Ball was inches wide from the 18 yard line.

HALF TIME: Farnborough 0-0 Leyton Orient

A lively 45 minutes in which Boro’ enjoyed several opportunities without managing to find the net. Although most attempts were from distance, they certainly were not overawed by their League 1 opponents and defensively a pretty solid performance ensured that Woods was the busier of the two keepers.

The 2nd period started at 8.50 with the expected substitutions which have been detailed in the team listings at the top of this report. Play continued to swing from end to end and a Taylor cross fell just behind Page. Then Semedo, who was probably the pick of the visitors forwards, saw a snap shot well saved by Charlie Grainger. Phil Page, who was working hard without much luck, saw his free kick beat the defensive wall but go just wide.

Semedo fouled Rodgers after coming off second best in a tackle, then within five minutes, Rodgers returned the favour conceding a free kick on the edge of the box. The kick rebounded from the wall to Sam Ling who watched his shot skim the upright. Just after the 60 minute mark, Page beat a couple of defenders and working his way into the box he crashed a shot against the post.

The 65th minute saw the introduction of Dan Bennett, who replaced Joe Taylor. Bennett enjoyed a number of his trademark runs, working hard without too much of an end product.

The final 20 minutes saw a rash of substitutions as recorded earlier. Frankly, while understanding the wish to give players minutes of playing time, due to delays in attempting to bring players on, some were only on the pitch for 10 minutes and some much less, making it difficult to impress.

The game, with 3 minutes added time, ended without further drama although both sides kept trying to get the missing goal.

FULL TIME: Farnborough 0-0 Leyton Orient


Some of the Boro faithful in the PRE during the second half

A well deserved result from Boro’s point of view when they might have shaded things with a bit more luck. Another clean sheet will surely give them confidence ahead of the visit to Boreham Wood on Saturday. A lot of tired legs on both sides by the end. Well done to all for an entertaining game.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Match photos from the Farnborough’s final pre-season friendly of 2014 will be added to the website over the coming days.

Next up for Farnborough – Saturday 9 August (KO 3pm), Boreham Wood (away) – PLENTY OF SPACES LEFT ON THE FaST COACH CLICK HERE TO BOOK

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: