Second half comeback earns Boro’ a replay

Spencer Day made two enforced changes from last Saturday’s 2-1 home away win at Staines Town last time out as the injured Ollie Treacher was replaced by left-back Aaron Tumwa and the departed Paul Rodgers was replaced by Sylvester Guyonnet in midfield; a move which saw Matt Bevans switch to right-back.

The game kicked off at 15:01 and with just three minutes on the clock, Brackley found themselves ahead when Eric Odhiambo‘s cross from the left was met by the head of Greg Pearson who had his header tipped into the bar by Craig Ross and Ebby Nelson-Addy was quickest to react and he headed home the rebound.

The Saints doubled their lead just 11 minutes later when midfielder Sam Whittall capitalised on a defensive mistake by Adam Brice and the Cambridge United loanee turned in the box and from his shot from 14 yards crept into the bottom left hand corner.

Brackley almost put the game out of sight after 21 minutes with an ambitious attempt from Whittall but his half volley from 30 yards sailed wide on Ross’ right hand post.

Seven minutes later Farnborough responded to the early setback and created an opportunity of their own when Guyonnet ran at the Brackley defence before finding Bennett who spread play out wide to Tumwa who’s cross from the left was only cleared as far as Okenabirhie who crashed his first time effort against the crossbar. The Stevenage loanee is yet to score for Boro’ in a competitive game so far this season and came so close to netting his first.

Half Time: Brackley Town 2-0 Farnborough

Was there anyway back for Farnborough now?

Yes is the answer to that question! Whatever Spencer had at half time; it worked as his Farnborough players responded and dominated the second half while restricting Brackley to very few opportunities.

On 59 minutes The Saints gave Boro’ another scare when miscommunication at the back resulted in Pearson chasing down the loose ball and with goalkeeper Craig Ross in no mans land, the 29 year-old shot early but he couldn’t control his lob as his effort sailed just over a the bar to the relieve of the Boro’ defence.

But it only took Farnborough two minutes to respond when the visitors won the ball from a Brackley attack and quickly counter attacked down the right with Matt Bevans bursting into the box. The Oxford United loanee crossed and was caught late by a defender but a penalty was not awarded but Phil Page reacted quickly to smash the ball under Turley from 8 yards. The vice-captain’s third goal of the season in a competitive game and a lifeline for Boro’!

The goal gave Farnborough plenty of confidence and had plenty of possession but couldn’t quite find the back of the net during dominant spell in the game as a long range Matt Ball strike also flew wide.

On 84 minutes Boro’ pulled level when Matt Ball swung in a free kick from the left which was flicked on to the back post by Brackley defender and the unmarked Dan Bennett‘s first time volley flew past Turley make is 2-2.

Two more clear-cut chance were to follow for Farnborough, the first came on 88 minutes as substitute Ferdinand Takyi hit the bar with a drive from 20 yards that rebounded off Turley and away.

And finally, Brackley kept their concentration as Page’s flick from a low drilled corner was cleared off by Dwayne Samuels to earn the hosts a replay at Paddy Power Park after a frantic second half.

FULL TIME: Brackley Town 2-2 Farnborough

A game of two halves.

After the game, Brackley Town boss Jon Brady told, “We were unable to close it out today from being in a strong position. Players have to do their jobs to see it out. We sat too deep and were naïve at times.

Brady continued, “The positives are that we are still in the cup. If we can show character we can go through on Monday.”

Many thanks to all the supporters who travelled!

The winners of tonight’s replay will face an away trip to Conference South side St Albans City.

Next up for Farnborough – Monday 29 September (KO 7:45pm), Brackley Town (home).

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: