Farnborough beaten 2-0 by Boreham Wood in a game of two halves at Meadow Park

So, here we are at last. It’s the real thing, the opening Vanarama Conference South league match away at Boreham Wood.

For the second consecutive week, having spent far too long on the M3 and M25 (this time on the supporters coach) it was a relief to arrive at 2.55 pm to see the teams run out.

The new stand, recently opened by Arsène Wenger, must have had nearly 50 occupants and the pitch looked to be in excellent condition, even if it did look as if Crown Green Bowls would not be out of place.

The home side started at pace and were ahead after just two minutes, when Montgomery, who had already skied a shot well over, found his range and thumped a shot into the top left hand corner. 1 – 0

Worse was to come and Grainger pushed another effort on to the bar after seven minutes. Boro’ did compose themselves briefly and Rodgers won a corner before Okenabirhie managed a shot which was just wide. However, their failure to clear the ball allowed Angol to run through and found the bottom right hand corner. 2.- 0 and just 14 minutes gone.

Credit to Boro’, they stuck to it and did create a few chances with Ball and Rodgers making progress which allowed Siaw to get in a shot which was wide. They also had a 50/50 shout for a penalty waved away.

The home side remained steadfast in defence and broke quickly when able to. One such occasion saw Montgomery and Angol combine well to create a dangerous situation which Tumwa did well to tackle and clear. Angol, who looked very lively, headed narrowly over from a free kick before another good run was well dealt with by Siaw who shepherded the ball through to Grainger. Half time 2 – 0 after a minute of added time.

The half was largely controlled by the home side who made good use of their big defenders and quick front men. Boro’ were showing signs of
getting in to the game, but would clearly need to step up a gear in the second period.

The second half commenced at 4.02 without any changes of personnel. Both sides had early chances with Russell tipping over a Matt Ball shot from outside the area, before wing back, Nunn, had a shot which was narrowly wide.

Boro’ replaced Pearse with Courtney Fearn and this stabilised the defence which looked more balanced. This allowed the visitors to launch a number of attacks which put pressure on Wood.

Russell gratefully grabbed a cross at the 2nd attempt and a Matt Ball free kick swirled across the area and was seen out by the defence for a goal kick.

Thompson came on for Boro’ to replace Tumwa which saw Treacher revert to his familiar wing back position and Thompson join the attack. Rodgers worked his way into the area and brought a good diving save from Russell, then Okenabirhie headed narrowly over before Matt Ball curled in a shot which fell on to the roof of the net.

The final 15 minutes saw both sides making substitutions and Whichelow who came on for the home side made his speed count and had an early shot skim the post before bringing a good save from Grainger. Angol then provided a good cross which saw Grainger in action again to save from Whichelow.

With five minutes left, Boro almost conceded a third when the defence held back allowing the home side through but fortunately the shot was high. Then unusually, Lewis Ferrell got his feet mixed up and lost possession allowing the quick Whichelow to bear down on goal, but Grainger made another good diving save to deny him.

Full time after 3 added minutes: Boreham Wood 2-0 Farnborough

Not the result we wanted, but the home side clearly benefitted from having the nucleus of their squad settling in to their 3rd season. This, coupled with some shrewd additions this Summer, will make them a difficult side to beat. Boro’ recovered from the early reverses and will enjoy better luck.

The old adage of a game of two halves, was never more true. We drew the second half, but lost the first. No shame in losing away to a side as strong as this, we didn’t throw in the towel and there are 39 more league games left. Don’t panic, Mr Mainwaring, let’s get off the mark on Monday against Weston-Super-Mare.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Next up for Farnborough – Monday 11 August (KO 7.45pm), Weston-Super-Mare (home)

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: