A confident display from Farnborough at Biggleswade Town on Saturday afternoon made it three pre-season wins out of five.

A goal from a trialist sandwiched in-between a Joe Taylor brace gave Farnborough their third pre-season win, this time against lower league opposition in Southern Premier League outfit Biggleswade Town.

It wasn’t easy going for the visitors though, as they came up against a talented Biggleswade outfit in a competitive fixture.

Spencer Day’s well-drilled Farnborough side broke the deadlock after 11 minutes and it was Joe Taylor who did the damage when he made the most of a poor clearance by a Biggleswade full back following a long Fearn clearance upfield, and the summer signing brilliantly skipped a challenge before sliding the ball under the Biggleswade keeper.

The goal gave the visitors confidence and from an inswinging corner from the right as a close range shot somehow trickled wide of the Biggleswade keeper’s left hand post for a goal kick, despite Farnborough’s claims for a corner.

Indeed the hosts should have been level midway through the second half when a deep Biggleswade free kick taken from the right sailed into Farnborough’s 6 yard box but no one could fully connect as the chance went begging.

At the other end of the field, Matt Ball cut inside from the right after the trialist was gifted possession on the right wing touchline but his shot flew over the bar. Minutes later a carbon copy of his earlier shot, but from a more central area, rose and rose as another shot sailed over the bar.

Good combination play produced Farnborough’s next chance as a long ball from Fearn was knocked down by Taylor into the path of a trialist wearing the number 9 shirt but his half-volley from just outside the box was well held by the home keeper.

Another good combination had the same result but this time, a trialist with the number 7 shirt on saw his strike saved by the home keeper following good link up play between Ball, Ferrell and Farnborough’s number 9.

But the scores were level minutes later as Biggleswade’s number 11 waltzed through the Farnborough midfield before teeing the ball up from the left for the Biggleswade number 9 at the back post who managed to get ahead of two Farnborough defenders and divert the ball past the visiting keeper for the equalising goal.

The hosts had now come to life and Biggleswade’s goalscorer cut in from the right with a low shot which well held by the Farnborough keeper. The Waders number 11 then missed a glorious opportunity to give his side the lead when he skipped a few challenged and dribbled into the Farnborough box but dragged his shot wide of the keeper’s right hand post from close range.

The visitors responded by ending the half with two opportunities to score themselves as Farnborough’s number 7 had his powerful strike from just outside the box saved. Then a venomous long range strike from Ball from midfield stung the Biggleswade keeper’s hands and as the hosts failed to clear their lines Farnborough’s number 9 picked up the rebound and kept the ball alive but couldn’t force it home before the ball eventually fell to Farnborough’s number 7 who shot over.

HALF TIME: Biggleswade Town 1-1 Farnborough

The half time team talk must have livened up the visitors as just minutes into the second half Farnborough took the lead as number 7 for the visitors broke from midfield and slotted a cleverly weighted pass into the path of Farnborough’s number 9 who held off a Biggleswade defender before slotting past the home keeper.

Matt Ball saw a long range left footed shot fly over, before Biggleswade’s number 11 was allowed a close range shot which was well saved again by Farnborough’s keeper for a corner. The resulting corner was only cleared as far as Biggleswade’s number 11 who saw his deeping volley bounce not far wide of the goalkeeper’s left hand post.

Then Matt Ball’s free kick from outside the box flew over before Ball again and second half substitute Joe Benjamin combined but this time the trialist dragged a left foot shot wide.

But Farnborough wrapped up the win on 81 minutes when a pacey trialist wearing the number 14 shirt held the ball up well inside the opposition box before managing to tees up Joe Taylor who managed to divert the ball goalwards via his knee for the new striker’s third goal of pre-season.

Biggleswade wasted one final chance towards the end of the game as a header from a corner taken from the right flew well wide of the Farnborough keeper’s right hand post.

FULL TIME: Biggleswade Town 1-3 Farnborough

Next up for Farnborough – Tuesday 29 July (KO 7.45pm), Tonbridge Angels (away)

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media: