Farnborough moved 10 points clear of the Skrill South relegation zone and secured Conference South safety for another season, after second half goals from Fraser Colmer, Josh Huggins and JJ Hooper fired them to victory over relegation strugglers Maidenhead United at Paddy Power Park.

The first half saw little action from either side but it was the Magpies who looked the most cohesive and creative side.

In the final minute of the half, Magpies skipper Mark Nisbet missed the ball completely and was grateful for some cool-headed keeping from Jonathan Henly to prevent Phil Page from opening the scoring for the hosts.

Farnborough took the lead on 68 minutes when skipper Josh Huggins forced his way through the wrong-footed defence and squared the ball to an unmarked Fraser Colmer who tapped in from two yards.

Josh Huggins made it 2-0 on 81 minutes when the Boro skipper sidefooted in from close range following a miscue from Adam Doyle.

The Magpies looked beaten, and just two minutes later they certainly were, when an accurate defence-splitting through ball from Courtney Fearn bobbled into the path of substitute JJ Hooper who drilled the ball home from just inside the area with the visitors’ defence in a state of confusion.

The match ended with Pritchard blasting wide from eight yards to emphasis the Magpies’ inability to hit the target.

Next up for Farnborough is a trip to Bath City on Monday, while Maidenhead United take on Ebbsfleet United at York Road on Easter Monday in a game they cannot afford to lose.

Maidenhead Advertiser Match Report – Second half capitulation puts Maidenhead United on brink of relegation

After the game, manager Spencer Day explained, “It was a terrible game, the pitch was very difficult, everyone was very nervous and they desperately needed to win. We actually only had, again, thirteen players, we named fourteen but [Connor] French wasn’t available. It was very nervous and I though first half  we weren’t really at it [in the first half] and there wasn’t much in it. I just didn’t think we were at it enough and with results going against us in recent weeks, we still did need another point or two.

“They got an almightly rollocking at half time. I wasn’t happy, I didn’t think enough of us were on it and we weren’t doing the basics right. Second half – again, it was a fairly even game, 3-0 flattered us but we deserved to win the game. We’ve scored three good goals at key moments, there were elements of luck in one or two of them but we’ve restricted them to: one shot which has gone straight at the keeper and one right at the end where the guy has blazed over.

“Give us credit that we kept our discipline on a very difficult day and it wasn’t a vintage performance, but to win 3-0 at this level is very good and it was a vital win which means we can move forward with the confidence that we’ve survived for another season, and survived really by some distance.”

Watch the full Interview with manager Spencer Day here.

Att: 320

Farnborough Man of the Match: Matt Ball


1. Ross Fitzsimons
2. Josh Huggins (C)
3. Ollie Treacher
4. Adam Doyle (Berry ON, 87)
5. Darryl Siaw
6. Alfred Bosch
7. Dan Bennett (Hooper ON, 53)
8. Matt Ball
9. Phil Page
10. Courtney Fearn
11. Fraser Colmer

Subs: 12. JJ Hooper; 14. Connor French; 15. Tyrone Berry.

Maidenhead United

1. Jonathan Henley
2. Bobby Behzadi
3. Leon Soloman
4. Daniel Brown
5. Mark Nisbet (C)
6. Matt Ruby (Tison-Lascaris ON, 70)
7. Danny Green
8. Adrian Clifton
9. Richard Pacquette (Erskine ON, 70)
10. Harry Grant
11. Harry Pritchard

Subs: 12. Reece Tison-Lascaris; 14. Jonathan Hippolyte; 15. Jacob Erskine; 16. Brett Longden; 17. Elvijs Putnins (gk).

Referee: Anthony Coggins
Assistant Referee’s: Sian Piret & Ben James

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media:

Twitter Farnborough FC Twitter Facebook Farnborough FC Facebook Instagram Farnborough FC Instagram Youtube Farnborough FC Youtube