With Adam Doyle unavailable and Ollie Treacher still unfit, Borough started with Darryl Siaw replacing Doyle and Tyrone Berry continuing in the left back position.


Boreham Wood:- James Russell, Ben Nunn, Greg Morgan, Luke Garrard, Mario Noto, Callum Reynolds, Matthew Whichelow (Pires 83), Sam Cox (C), Junior Morias, Kudus Oyenuga (Angol 73) and Graeme Montgomery.
Subs not used: Cameron Mawer, Karl Brown and James Courtnage.

Borough:- Kevin Scriven, Josh Huggins, Tyrone Berry (Lowe 88), Alfred Bosch, Alan Inns (C), Darryl Siaw, Dan Bennett (Cole 45), Matt Ball, JJ Hooper, Connor French (Page 72) and Harry Lee.
Sub not used: CJ Fearn

Referee: Mr C Hatzidakis – Assistants: Mr A Duffy and Mr J Connolly

The game started in a lively fashion with both sides looking for an early opening and for the home side, Whichelow, Morias and Oyenuga made good use of their obvious pace. When Ben Nunn played a useful ball over the Boro’ defence to Whichelow, Darryl Siaw showed he was just as quick when getting back to tackle him at the expense of a corner on the right. From the corner, the ball was cleared to Dan Bennett who sprinted forward in a run of some 50 yards, but his attempt to put Berry through was intercepted.

Few clear chances were created in the opening 15 minutes, but French had one shot on target saved by Russell and Scriven made a good diving save to his left to deny Oyenuga. Ball then showed his defensive qualities by blocking a goal bound shot after Scriven was beaten by a diagonal cross from
the left. With the defence looking solid, Inns made a good tackle to stop Morias and Siaw broke up two promising attacks. When French fouled Whichelow, he did well to block the free kick.

A screamer from Morias was tipped over by Scriven after 20 minutes and when Whichelow burst through, Siaw again matched his pace and cleared the danger. Then at the other end, Russell saved at the feet of French when a goal looked certain. After repelling Woods attacks, Boro’ broke quickly down the right flank and JJ Hooper cut in and hit a great shot through Russell and in to the far corner from a very tight angle. BW 0 – Boro’ 1

The home side were stung into action, but Montgomery’s effort from 30 yards was well wide. When Berry made a run down the left, his cross was beaten out and fell to Matt Ball whose effort was affected by a tricky bounce and went just wide of the target.

In the closing 10 minutes of the half Wood made chances, but lacked composure in front of goal. Boro’ still looked dangerous and could have had a couple more before the break. Hooper won the ball on the left and his cross into the box saw French just fail to make contact. Russell was forced to rush out to the edge of his area to block French and the ball went to Bennett, who seeing the keeper was out of his goal, hit a good shot from some 35 yards which was just inches too high.

The last meaningful action of the half saw Bennett break from defence only to be penalised when he looked to be more of a victim and Wood came close from the free kick. The half time whistle came after 1 added minute. Boreham Wood 0 – Borough 1

Borough were good value for their lead having dominated for much of the half and but for a couple of good saves and some near misses, could have had three goals The home side also had their moments and with more composure in front of goal and without a couple of good saves from Kevin Scriven, might have had at least two themselves.

Borough brought on Ade Cole in place of Dan Bennett at the start of the 2nd period and both sides had early  opportunities. A snap shot from skipper Sam Cox was saved by Scriven before Josh Huggins struck one from 30 yards which was saved by Russell. When Inns, who was having a very steady game, was penalised about 25 yards out, the
free kick was struck well by Mario Noto, up and over the wall and into the right hand corner of Scriven’s goal.  1 – 1 – (55 minutes)

With both sides going for a second goal, Whichelow hit his effort high and wide, while sub Ade Cole went close for Boro’. Both teams made substitutions Boro’ replacing French with Page (72) and the home side brought on Lee Angol for Oyenuga (73).

The remaining 17 minutes, plus 3 minutes added time saw play swinging quickly from end to end, with Boro’ enjoying  some snappy one touch moves which saw Tyrone Berry, who was now switching wings, hit a good cross from the right which was headed clear and JJ Hooper went very close with a real screamer from the left. The home side were now throwing players forward seeking an elusive 2nd goal and Montgomery elected to shoot when a cross might have been more productive. The shot went well over to the frustration of his team mates.

Wood made a 2nd substitution, replacing Whichelow with Pires. Scriven made a timely save on 88 minutes to keep the scores level and Boro’ made their 3rd and final substitution shortly before the 90 minutes, with Jamal Lowe coming on for the hard working Tyrone Berry. Lowe might not have been on for long, but proved his worth with a very timely tackle in added time.

Despite both sides efforts and no let up in the fast pace, there were to be no more goals. Result Boreham Wood 1 – Borough 1

A very satisfactory point for Boro’ and, given their respective circumstances, my guess is that both sides would have taken that before kick off. Now we must look to Saturday and another tough away trip to Bishops Stortford. If we play like we did against Bromley and again tonight, there’s no reason why we can’t get something from trip to Hertfordshire.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Att: 131

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media:

Twitter Farnborough FC Twitter Facebook Farnborough FC Facebook Instagram Farnborough FC Instagram Youtube Farnborough FC Youtube