The game, which in all honesty, few people expected to go ahead, started in bright sunshine accompanied by a cold wind.

With the goalmouth at the PRE end and an area in front of the main stand closely resembling a beach, it was nevertheless to the credit of Pete Howard and his helpers that we were able to witness our first home game in several weeks.

The teams, with Boro’ giving a first start to Barnet loanees Jon Nurse and George Sykes, were as follows:-

Boro’: Scriven, Huggins, Treacher, Bosch, Inns (C), Doyle (Siaw 87), Bennett (Rose 89),
Laidler, Sykes (Page 67), Nurse and Berry. Sub not used: Courtney Fearn.

Dorchester Town: Walker-Harris, Case, Colmer (Ward 77), Jermyn (C), Walker, Smeeton,
Lanahan (Munday 69), Gleeson, Crittenden, Byerley and Losasso. Subs not used: Twyford (G/K), Tennant and Brooks.

Referee: Jon Busby
Assistant Referee’s: Andrew Williams & Oli Dolton

After a probing start by both sides, the first real chance fell to Boro’ when a looping shot from Laidler went wide. Bennett saw a long range effort go wide shortly afterwards. The visitors threatened after 10 minutes and when a partially cleared attack was returned quickly into the box Scriven was alert and cleared with a strong punch. 

New loan signing, Sykes, made good progress on the right only for his cross to be punted clear. Almost immediately, Bennett brought a good save from Walker-Harris. After 15 minutes Dorchester netted only for an off-side flag to dampen their celebrations.

The game needed a goal and it duly came on 19 minutes when full back Colmer turned a hard, low diagonal ball into the box from Bennett into his own net. Boro’ 1 – Dorchester 0

Boro’ were lucky  few minutes later, when their defence froze claiming off-side while the visitors continued only to see the ball rebound from a post. A Huggins free kick was charged down by a defender who was suspiciously close, allowing Dorchester to break quickly only for Scriven to save their final effort. The equaliser came after 35 minutes when sloppy defending allowed Sam Lanahan to score. 1 – 1

Three minutes later, Bennett got the ball in his own half and set out on a weaving run which saw him leave several defenders in his wake, before, having made space, he shot wide of the target. Overall, the 1st half was fairly even with both sides creating chances only to fall at the final hurdle. Boro’ all too often gave the ball away with poor passing but the heavy ground did little to help. 

Half Time Boro’ 1 – Dorchester 1.

The 2nd period saw both sides begin with more determination with Dorchester often producing play which belied their league position. The visitors caused problems when Inns headed clear a right wing cross only for the ball to fall kindly for Crittenden whose shot was just wide. Scriven was then called upon twice in quick succession to make saves, the second, from Gleeson requiring a dive at full stretch  to tip the ball round for a corner.

On 57 minutes, Sykes won a corner which was eventually cleared, then a Nurse shot was deflected for another corner which came out to Doyle who saw his full blooded low shot from 25 yards blocked. On 63 minutes Berry struck a post and new boy Nurse rammed home the rebound. Boro’ 2 – Dorchester 1.

Four minutes later and we saw the first substitution when Boro’ replaced George Sykes with Phil Page who was on the pitch for a whole minute before he blasted Boro’s 3rd goal with his first touch. Credit must go to Jon Nurse whose good play created the chance.  68th minute: Boro’ 3 – Dorchester 1

The visitors made two substitutions on 69 and 77 minutes while in between they had Smeeton booked for a foul on Laidler. Dorchester renewed their efforts with a sustained onslaught which led to Dan Munday bursting clear in the 79th minute to pull the score back to 3 – 2.

This led to a nervous last ten minutes for Boro’ fans, with the defence tested to the limit, but they proved equal to the task. Yellows made substitutions on 87 and 89 minutes to use up precious time and Nurse used good close control to keep the ball in the corner. Page went close to adding a 4th goal in added time and at last the final whistle blew to give us our first league win since 22nd of November 2013.

Full Time: Boro’ 3-2 Dorchester Town – A Massive, hard won and welcome 3 points.

Match Report by Tony Duff.

Att: 292

Farnborough Man of the Match: Jon Nurse

TheBoroTV Match Highlights v Dorchester Town can be viewed here.

Interview with Spencer Day following the 3-2 victory over Dorchester Town can be viewed here.

Keep up to date with your club on Social Media:

Twitter Bromley FC Twitter   Facebook Bromley FC Facebook  Youtube Bromley FC Youtube