Farnborough travelled to Kent today to face a tough & regimented Angel’s side that always give a committed performance and make teams earn every point and today was no different.

It was the visitors that went close to scoring early doors when Adam Doyle flashed a header just wide from a Scott Donnelly corner, Dan Bennett then had an effort tipped over by Clark Masters as Boro enjoyed the majority of procession in the first 15 minutes. Three minutes later the deadlock was broken when Bennett picked out Elvis Hammond on the 18 yard line and the skilful forward coolly clipped the ball over the advancing Masters.

Then came the first of two disallowed goals for Boro when Scott Donnelly chipped a free kick into the box Alan Inns was clearly in an off side position but on the call of Adam Doyle made no attempt to move towards the ball. Doyle had made a run from an onside position and headed over Masters to score what the visitors thought was a perfectly good goal only to see the assistant raise his flag and signal off-side. After a conversation between the referee and his assistant it was deemed that Inns had in fact impeded the sight of the keeper and a free kick was awarded.

Phil Page enjoying his second spell at the club was a constant thorn in the side of the Angels defence and played a big part in Boro’s second goal, Page twisted and turned inside the box and fired the ball low across the six yard box but the ball skipped up in the air and Scott Donnelly fired home a volley giving the keeper no chance. 2 goals down and being out played Tonbridge grabbed a lifeline on the stroke of half time when Nathan Pinney flicked home a Chris Piper cross making the half time score 1-2.

With the score at 1-2 quoting a famous cliché the next goal in this game was important and the home side came out the traps at the start off the second half in search of an equalizer, Pinney had a great chance when he found space but the striker shot was comfortably saved by in form Kevin Scriven. The game got stretched with Angels pushing on which in turn left them open for the counter attack from Boro; Elvis Hammond went close to extending the lead when he flicked a Phil Page pass onto the foot of the right post. Dave Tarpey then went close when he too hit the same post as the visitors got a strong footing after defending for the opening period of the second half. Boro had the ball in the net again when Phil Page flicked home a Scott Donnelly corner but the celebrations were cut short when again it was adjudged the forward was in an off-side position.

Tonbridge then were left frustrated when they thought they should have had a penalty when Pinney fell to the ground after a strong yet prefect tackle from Doyle in the box .With all that had gone on in the game on 75 minutes Angels gifted the visitors a golden opportunity to extend their lead when Alan Inns was clearly pushed in the box and with the ref stood no more than two foot away it was the easiest decision in the game. Scott Donnelly slotted home to put the visitors 1-3 in front and kill off any hopes of a comeback.

Tonbridge may feel that the 1-3 score line flattered Farnborough but with 2 goals disallowed and hitting the post twice the score line could have been a lot higher. A good solid away performance without being at their best but 3 points away in this league is a good result.

Att: 445

Tonbridge Angels

1. Clark Masters
2. Chris Piper (Schoburgh ON, 79)
3. Ryan Watts 
4. Lee Browning
5. Gary Elphick (C) 
6. Sonny Miles
7. Henry Muggeridge (Suarez ON, 84)
8. David Ijaha
9. Nathan Pinney (Blewden ON, 79)
10. Mark Lovell
11. Nathan Green

Subs: 12. Luke Blewden; 14. Jon Heath; 15. Sebastian Schoburgh; 16. Mikel Suarez; 17. Scott Chalmers-Stevens (gk).


1. Kevin Scriven
2. Josh Huggins
3. Ollie Treacher
4. Reece Jones
5. Alan Inns (C)
6. Adam Doyle
7. Dan Bennett  (Tarpey ON, 76)
8. Steve Laidler
9. Elvis Hammond (Macklin ON, 90+)
10. Scott Donnelly (Fofana ON, 90)
11. Phil Page 

Subs: 12. Dave Tarpey; 14. Djibril Fofana; 15. Aaron Akuruka; 16. Lloyd Macklin; 17. Matthew Lovett (gk).

Referee: Gary Jerden (Wickford)
Assistant Referee’s: Tom Ratheram (Dunstable) & Christopher Bodell (Broxbourne)