Staines Town finally broke the ‘hoary old chestnut’ today when they, for the first time beat Farnborough FC and continued their 100% home record making it 5 wins out of 5 home games. (FA Carlsberg Trophy – Third Qualifying Round – Tie #31)

With three key players unavailable for today’s clash ‘Boro were forced into changes to the side that convincingly beat Boreham Wood on Tuesday.

With club captain Alan Inns missing & Alfred Bosch unavailable, in stepped Nathan Koo-Boothe at the heart of defence to partner Adam Doyle.

Reece Connolly started his first game of the season after Elvis Hammond withdrew from the squad with an injury and wasted no time getting off the mark when on 11 minutes he drilled a low power drive past Kyle Merson to put ‘Boro a goal up.

Connolly then was guilty of squandering a couple of glorious opportunities when with just the keeper to beat he looped the ball wide of an empty goal.

Next the forward found himself one on one with Merson but whether it was the lack of match fitness or sharpness his effort was comfortably saved.

Just when it looked as if it was a question of when the next goal would come for Farnborough it was in fact the home side that found the net.

A defensive mix up at the heart of the ‘Boro back line saw Louis-Rae Beadle slide the ball under keeper Kevin Scriven and in an attempt to clear the ball Ollie Treacher passed the ball to Louie Theophanous who simply fired home.

Theophanous was on hand again on 34 minutes when a second defensive error allowed the lively forward the easy task of tapping home his second and putting Staines 2-1 up going into half time .

In an attempt to sure up their frailties at the back, ‘Boro replaced Nathan Koo-Boothe with Merrick James-Lewis and it seemed that the change had made a big difference.

With a change in formation, the visitors went on the attack and looked like they were back in this game.

Scott Donnelly fired over with two set plays but a combination of poor finishing and some fine saves by Merson kept the home side in front, then on 64 minutes came a defining moment in the match when from a corner Treacher failed to clear the ball and as a result the ball skipped up and hit Dave Tarpey’s hand.

Even though it looked to all like it was ball to hand, the spot kick was given. Theophanous stepped up and completed his hat-trick to the delight of the home supporters.

Still with over 26 minutes left on the clock the game wasn’t won as ‘Boro still continued to push on and on 79 minutes pulled a goal back when substitute Andrew Mensah was first to react to Merson spilling a Dave Tarpey shot and stabbed the ball into the net to set up a frantic last 10 minutes.

Farnborough had their chances to grab an equaliser but again poor finishing and decision making in the final third cost them today and they went home empty handed.

Summing up this game and taking nothing away from Staines, making as many mistakes at key moments in defence and in front of goal cost Farnborough today.

Att: 299

Staines Town

1. Jack Turner
2. Lewis Ferrell
3. Jordaan Brown
4. Stephane Ngamvoulou
5. Chris M’Boungou
6. Jerel Ifil
7. Ashley Lodge
8. Bajram Pashaj (Taylor ON, 84)
9. Louie Theophanous
10. Dan Brown (Akinsanya ON, 61)
11. Max Worsfold (Felix ON, 84)

Subs: 12. Oluwole Akinsanya; 13. Kyle Merson (gk); 14. Erivaldo Felix; 15. Luke Neville; 16. Scott Taylor.


1. Kevin Scriven
2. Josh Huggins
3. Ollie Treacher
4. Scott Donnelly
5. Alan Inns (C)
6. Adam Doyle
7. Dan Bennett
8. Steve Laidler
9. Harry Lee (Page ON, 52)
10. Elvis Hammond (Mouta ON, 71)
11. Dave Tarpey

Subs: 12. Phil Page; 14. Djibril Fofana; 15. Juan Mouta; 16. Bakari Sinclair-Smith; 18. Richard Monan.

Referee: John Busby (Berinsfield, Oxfordshire)
Assistant Referee’s: Kevin Howick (Abingson, Oxfordshire) & Stuart Jack (Carterton, Oxfordshire)