Following back to back 1-0 away victories, ‘Boro were brought down to earth with a bump as they fell to a 6-0 reverse at the hands of Chelmsford City at Melbourne Park Stadium on Monday night.

Three goals in each half saw the home team romp to a convincing victory, and manager Spencer Day was angered that the first five goals were headers, from deliveries that the defence failed to cope with.

Things could have been different, Richard Peniket who left the field just before the break with a nasty cut to his head, raced through on 11 minutes, and managed to stay on his feet despite a clumsy challenge in the box only to see his shot well blocked by Chelmsfords keeper Searle, to compound matters as the ball broke to Dan Bennett the usually clinical finisher fluffed his lines with the goal at his mercy, Peniket’s honesty probably saved the defender from an early bath, and what would have been a stonewall penalty for ‘Boro. 

Miller opened the scoring for the hosts, Ross Worner making a flying save to deny Edmans but from the resulting corner Miller headed home.

‘Boro’s failure to deal with deliveries into the box became their ultimate undoing, and Bakare doubled the lead following good work from Palmer on the left wing.

On 27 minutes, the game was all over bar the shouting, centre back Clark heading home.

Dan Bennett spurned ‘Boro’s best chance of the half minutes after the hosts went three ahead, and with more clinical finishing the teams could have gone in at half time level.

Just two minutes were on the clock into the second period when Chelmsford further extended their lead, a long throw into the box by Miller, which had caused ‘Boro problems all evening was met by Edmans, the ball flicking off Alan Inns and looping over Worner for the fourth. 

within eight minutes Chelmsford assed their fith of the evening, again courtesy of a header, Whight’s cross glanced home by Bakare for his second of the evening.

On the hour mark Ross Worner deprived Bakare of his hat trick, only to see the ball break to Bridges who finished confidently.

‘Bor though did keep fighting, Nic Ciardini came within millimeters of pulling one back, his firmly struck shot beating the outstretched arm of Searle, only to hit the woodwork, and Marcus Moody worked tirelessly when he entered the fray soon after the hour mark.

‘Boro now must dust themselves down and pick themselves up as they prepare for the visit of another Essex team, Billericay Town the visitors to Cherrywood Road on Saturday, kick off at 3pm.