Being a Farnborough fan is never an easy life with the club already being deducted 4 points earlier in the season this week saw a further 10 points taken away as the club entered administration.

Confusion and worry were doing the rounds on the last day of the season as on some media websites it had been reported that Farnborough had been deducted 20 points and the league table showed the club third from bottom on 37 points.  This error was quickly amended and an apology was sent to the club so attention again could turn back to today’s game and the visit of play off Chelmsford City.

Eight games ago ‘Boro was on the end of a six goal hammering at the hands of today’s visitors.  Still without a keeper Nic Ciardini to continue the role as stand in keeper on this the last game of the season.  Despite what’s been going on off the pitch this week the players remained focussed to the job at hand and started the game with the fighting spirit and controlled the first half with some ease creating chance after chance and should have taken the lead on 12 minutes.  Returning forward Reece Connolly was fouled in the box and the ref pointed at the spot, up stepped Daniel Bennett to take the penalty but Danzelle St Louis-Hamilton pulled off a fine save to deny Bennett and keep the score level.  Tom McGarry then should have scored his third in three games when the right back found space six yards out and unmarked failed to connect to a Dave Tarpey cross.   Steve Laidler then went close when a 25 yard shot skimmed the cross bar as the home side pushed forward in search of an opening goal. The deadlock was finally broken just on the stroke of half time when Reece Connolly threaded a defence splitting ball through to Daniel Bennett and the tricky winger took a touch before firing home a placed effort into the corner of the net.  The home side continued to control the game restricting the visitors to a limited amount of shots but on 67 minutes the tone of the game changed when skipper Alan Inns was showed a straight red for a rash tackle on Joe Wright.  ‘Boro shuffled the pack bringing on both Marcus Moody and Josh Huggins for Elvis Hammond and Dave Tarpey.  The captains arm band was passed to player of the season Steve Laidler and the midfield ace lead his team and on 82 minutes he made a 60-yard storming run and coolly stopped on the edge of the box and fired his first goal of the season into the top corner.  Laidler then played his part in the third goal of this game when he picked out Josh Huggins to score ‘Boro’s third.  Jamie Slabber netted a consolation for the visitors on 93 minutes.