Nic Ciardini’s strike three minutes from time was enough to secure ‘Boro all three points against relegation threatened Maidenhead United.

After 6 away games on the spin and a month on the road Farnborough finally returned to the Rushmoor Stadium today to face a tricky game against a Maidenhead team in free fall. The Magpies had lost six games in a row before today and only a point above the drop zone and were in need of picking up something from today’s game.

The home side totally dominated the first half and only took 16 minutes to take the lead through Richard Peniket.  Dean Inman had out jumped his marker at a corner only to see his header hit the underside of the cross bar,  Peniket was quickest to react and headed home from 5 yards out.  A valiant attempt by a defender nearly cleared the ball but was stood a yard over the line.

Farnborough went close to scoring a second when Dave Tarpey whistled the outside of the post with a low drive.   However just before half time the visitors were right back in the game when against the run of play Michael Pook fired home from 20 yards after the Boro defence had stopped for what seemed a clear handball.  The ref waved away the protests from the home side and the goal stood.

Maybe that goal shocked the Boro players because in total contrast the visitors enjoyed the middle part of this game and had it not been for the combination of Craig Bradshaw making some fine saves and a couple of missed opportunities the visitors should have taken the lead .  The home side made a couple of changes,  Daniel Bennett came on for Elvis Hammond who had run himself into the ground and debutant Tom McGarry,  signed from Chertsey Town, for Dean Inman who picked up a slight knock.

This seemed to give Boro a lift and it wasn’t long before Bennett was causing problems with his quick feet and pace.  Both teams went in search for a winner as the game got stretched and spaces appeared all over the pitch.  Boro’s final change, fans favourite, Marcus Moody came on for Dave Tarpey in a attempt to take control of the remainder of the game and it seemed to work.  Boro pushed on again and on the 87th minute scored what turned out to be the winner when local hero Nic Ciardini fired an unstoppable shot from 22 yards.

Not only was it the first home game for Tom McGarry but also in the dugout for their first home game since joining the first team management team were new coach Nathaniel White and Leigh Dynan.