Farnborough’s Scott Donnelly produced two moments of skill and pure class to dampen a committed performance by the visitors on this wet and windy Tuesday evening.

Boro became one of the first clubs to show their support of the anti homophobia initiative being led by Stonewall and Principal Sponsors Paddy Power, with many of their players wearing the rainbow laces in aid of the cause.

Boro’s experienced and influential skipper Alan Inns returned to action after serving his 3 match suspension and rekindled a partnership at the heart of the defence alongside his former Woking sidekick Adam Doyle.

From the first whistle Boro went on the attack and went close to opening the scoring when Elvis Hammond shot inches past the far post. Next it was lively left back, Ollie Treacher, who fired a shot that looked to have beaten keeper James Russell only to be cleared in dramatic style by Luke Garrard.

Inns then had 2 headed attempts cleared off the line as the vistors goal seemed to be living a charmed life.

With all the early dominance and a hatful of chances it looked like it just might be one of those nights for Boro, but on 30 minutes, the ref awarded a free kick 25 yards out after a foul on Steve Laidler and Donnelly despatched an unstoppable free kick into the top right corner.

It looked to all that on this wet and rainy night the flood gates would open and many a goal would be scored but you have to give Boreham credit for never giving an inch and battling and scrapping away and none more so than their skipper Charlie O’Loughlin and Luke Garrard.

Farnborough continued to create chance after chance in the second half and should have doubled their lead when Tyrone Berry found space on the edge of the box only to see his shot cannon of the crossbar and out for a goal kick .

Reece Connelly thought his near post header was on its way in but again O’Loughlin was in the right place to head out for a corner.

Next it was the turn of Dan Bennett, with just the keeper to beat he pulled his shot wide of an empty goal.

Boreham continued to ride their luck and against the run of play went close to levelling the scores when they forced a fine save out of Kevin Scriven, a cross shot from Donovan Simmonds fizzed across the six yard box but Scriven got good hands to it and pushed it to safety.

That was the only chance for the visitors and as they pushed on looking for an equaliser, allowed Boro to hit on the counter attack.

With minutes left on the clock a swift counter attack left Reece Connolly one on one with James Russell in goal.

Connolly knocked the ball past Russell only to be tripped and awarded a penalty.

Up stepped the cool Donnelly and the play maker passed the ball into the bottom right corner to finally kill of any hope for the visitors.

Att: 338


1. Kevin Scriven
2. Josh Huggins
3. Ollie Treacher
4. Tyrone Berry
5. Alan Inns (C) (Koo-Boothe ON, 88)
6. Adam Doyle
7. Daniel Bennett
8. Steve Laidler
9. Dave Tarpey (James-Lewis ON, 84)
10. Elvis Hammond (Connolly ON, 54 )
11. Scott Donnelly

Subs: 12. Reece Connolly; 14. Merrick James-Lewis; 15. Nathan Koo-Boothe; 16. Reece Jones; 18. Tom McGarry.

Boreham Wood

1. James Russell 
2. Jerome Jibodu  (Hastings ON, 82)
3. Greg Morgan
4. Sam Cox
5. Luke Garrard
6. Charlie O’Loughlin (C)
7. Mario Noto (Ball ON, 82)
8. Mark Bentley
9. Donovan Simmonds
10. Jake Wooley
11. Grame Montgomery (Wichelow ON, 70)

Subs: 12. Matthew Wichelow; 14. Matthew Ball; 15. Jake Hall; 16. Robert Hastings; 17. James Courtnage.

Referee: Barry Holderness

Assistant Referee’s: Andrew Williams & Ernie Moore